Music in the classroom helps make learning fun: Musical Sprouts.
Musical Sprouts is a unique music program developed specifically for Little Sprouts. A distinct mixture of music therapy techniques are coupled with educational methodology to produce classroom activities that help students reach their developmental milestones.
Our music therapy team primarily focuses on advancing the children's cognitive, physical, social/emotional, and language development while supporting the weekly curriculum. The equal blend of purpose and playful fun embedded in our music program creates a scholastic environment that celebrates a rich community of young learners.
A good example of how Musical Sprouts supports development comes through the following example. The act of playing a drum requires a student to use fine/gross motor skills. While one student actively plays a drum, her peers are learning how to listen and wait for their turn. A music teacher might then chose to soften the volume of the guitar as an auditory cue, which tells the student to stop playing and pass the drum to a peer. Within this seemingly simple musical exchange, a number of key developmental areas are being exercised to promote growth.
Learn more about our Music Therapists who developed and implement Musical Sprouts.
Why our music programs are so successful in supporting learning:
Developmentally appropriate activities
We design developmentally appropriate activities around the Little Sprouts curriculum and the needs of individual children and the classroom.
Examples of activities include:
- Language development through call/response singing
- Cognitive development through problem solving during musical experiences
- Developing awareness of community/global themes such as the changing of the seasons, health care, animals, etc.
- Physical development through the act of dancing and playing instruments
- Self-awareness and social skills through participating in turn-taking and self-expressive activities
Aligned with classroom learning and themes
Musical Sprouts aligns with classroom learning and curriculum themes.
The music program also:
- Incorporates Music Therapy techniques that can address behavior management and special needs
- Enhances and supports the work that our teachers do in the classroom
- Expands to individualize services to better support children with learning differences
The Musical Sprouts philosophy
Music is an expressive medium that our students and staff can joyfully share together. We enjoy honoring the interests and needs of our children by providing them with a chance to work with our dedicated team of music therapists. Since music plays an intricate role in our student’s lives, the members of our Musical Sprouts team are committed to providing quality musical experiences. Our music sessions highlight individual contributions, teach new life skills, and impact developmental growth through the act of making music.
We practice the concept of “learning through play” and so our sessions promote the act of making music. For example, class participants are consistently encouraged to explore the benefits that derive from playing different instruments, developing the human voice, and creating expressive dance movements. Students are presented with weekly opportunities to participate in purposeful and fun filled musical activities. These activities impact developmental growth in children and support educational themes that are found within our curriculum.
The benefits of Musical Sprouts
Most children find music to be fun and engaging, and that is why we encompass a number of educational and/or developmental goals within our weekly music sessions. Our team of music therapists uses music as a tool to produce enjoyable, educational, and therapeutic experiences within our classrooms. We are onto something BIG because all of our students benefit from the rich learning environment that is heightened by our Musical Sprouts program.
Students have the advantage of growing in the areas of social, physical, and cognitive development through the act of making purposeful music. This is possible because our Music Sprouts program fosters human growth by offering the following additional services:
- Incorporation of Music Therapy techniques that can address behavior management and special needs
- Providing curriculum that can enhance and support the work that our teachers do in the classroom by using different Music Therapy techniques
- Expanding to individualize services to better support children with varying learning differences